Friday, July 11, 2014

Against, For , and Neutral towards consumerism






Consumerism is the protection or promotion of the interest of consumers.  There are some people that don't support consumerism and some that do. I've found a couple of articles that are against, for, and neutral when it comes to the subject. I will also be adding some thoughts that people have on the subject and I will be letting you know how I feel abut the whole thing as my final thoughts. The first article that I will write about is an article from a small social media site that isn't really for consumerism.  "Western society is one of consumerism – we consume unnecessary resources for our own pleasure, and this is often at the expense of the environment and other community values. Consumerism is real, but as a means to happiness is a fallacy."  This is a small website that doesn't really like consumerism and its speaks about how  we buy things that we don't need and how most things we buy are really hazardous to the environment.  Most of the things that we buy are a casualties that we decide to have and don't really need and they are not needed to be happy.  A mass media site that I have found and want to tie into what I'm talking about is http://www.cnn.com/ .  I want to say that this website really supports my idea of how mass media sites support consumerism because everywhere you go on the page you see all these different advertisements and commercials. This just really shows how they support consumerism because they want to advertise everything so that people could see all these different products and want to buy them.  Since I spoke about how people are against and for consumerism I think its just fair to speak about how somebody could feel neutral about the whole idea." Ever since mass media became mass media, companies have naturally used this means of communications to let a large number of people know about their products. There is nothing wrong with that, as it allows innovative ideas and concepts to be shared with others. However, as the years have progressed, the sophistication of advertising methods and techniques has advanced, enticing and shaping and even creating consumerism and needs where there has been none before, or turning luxuries into necessities.".SO I think that they are neutral on the subject because they say how using it in a specific way isn't bad but when they start using it for the wrong reasons it is. Here is a quote from Chuck Palahniuk  about how they feel abut consumerism "Are these things really better than the things I already have? Or am I just trained to be dissatisfied with what I have now?”. "Here's another quote from somebody else that seems to be very concerned also and his name is Noam Chomsky "All over the place, from the popular culture to the propaganda system, there is constant pressure to make people feel that they are helpless, that the only role they can have is to ratify decisions and to consume.”. So you've read what other people think about consumerism so here are my thoughts on the topic. I think that consumerism is bad because there are all these different companies and mass media sights that want to sell you on products that are not the best thing for anybody or necessary to somebodies way of living. Most of the things they try to sell you are not even worth your time. If you would like any further information feel free to click on any of the links underneath.
http://www.achieve-goal-setting-success.com/consumerism.html
   http://www.goodreads.com/quotes/tag/consumerism
http://www.globalissues.org/article/160/media-and-advertising

                                                   



7 comments:

  1. when I saw your article, I was like "wow a lot of words", but I read it though, and I agree with you

    ReplyDelete
  2. you have a voice and u deserve to be heard

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow this is a skinny page but i like it good job

    ReplyDelete
  4. this is so true! we need to buy things we need

    ReplyDelete
  5. I now understand consumerism a lot better. The things you have said are very valid though. It relates to the mall.

    ReplyDelete